First Live Poll for 2009 at Mobile Monday Sydney

2 02 2009

Tonight we ran another live poll for the great team at Mobile Monday Sydney. There was an excellent participation rate of almost 80% (63 out of an estimated crowd of 80).

As always we offered SMS, URL and QR Code entry points and by far the majority of people joined in using SMS (57%).

Telstra (38%), closely followed by Optus (36%) were the dominant network providers, with Three (15%) and Voda (11%) trailing behind.

Nokia is still the dominant manufacturer (51%) with the iPhone quickly catching up behind (34%). Interestingly, Blackberry was only a very small share (9%).

And on the browser front Safari completely dominates (66%) due to the popularity of both iPhones and Symbian devices.

Compare this against last years results to see that Apple and Nokia have squeezed out almost all the other device manufacturers and the flow on effects that has had.

Analysis of phones, browsers, networks and how people joined

When asked what they’d like to see more of, the audience clearly responded with “more experts” (Industry leader interviews: 15%, Panels: 21% and International speakers: 15% – total 51%).

This was closely followed by more “new products” (Product launches: 15% and Product demos: 24% – total 39%).

What do the Mobile Monday Sydney crowd want to see more of?

The topics the MoMo Sydney audience are most interested in are primarily Mobile Advertising (24%) and Mobile User Experience (24%) followed by LBS/GPS (14%) and Mobile Payments (11%). This makes good sense considering the current state of the market and how everyone seems to be striving to find ways to generate revenue and keep users happy.

Compare this with last year to see the biggest change in interest is the decline of “Mobile Social Software” from 20% to 5%. In contrast “Mobile Advertising” has gone the other direction moving from 8% to 24%.

What topics should MoMo cover this year?

The analysis of who this audience represents shows that it’s quite a broad distribution across all the key categories. The largest segment is Mobile Application Developers (17%) followed by Mobile Services Agencies (14%), Telco/Carriers (14%) and Mobile Content Producers (11%). However Other (11%) is still quite a large slice that could be refined further.

Comparing this with last year shows there has actually been a bit of an evolution of the overall audience.

Who are you?

Overall, this poll has highlighted some really interesting patterns and when compared to last years results some key trends are starting to emerge. We’ll post the bar graphs from the “predictions” section of the poll soon, along with a more detailed assessment of some of the key usability trends hinted at in the underlying data.

I’d like to thank Tim, Oli, Gia and Shane for organising such a great event. The presentation that Tim and Oli did just before the poll was excellent and highlighted some really useful and interesting points.

BTW: If you’d like to organise a Live Mobile Poll for your event, company or group then give us a call.